**New in 2022! A voter who turns 18 between the August Primary and the November General Election (11/8/22) can vote in the Primary! In Washington state, 16- and 17-year-olds can sign up as Future Voters and be automatically registered to vote when they become eligible.
- U.S. Citizen
Having a green card or permanent residency status is not citizenship.
- Legal resident of Washington State
A person must establish a residential address in Washington at least 30 days before Election Day.
- At least 18 years old
**New in 2022! A voter who turns 18 between the August Primary and the November General Election can vote in the Primary! In Washington state, 16- and 17-year-olds can sign up as Future Voters and be automatically registered to vote when they become eligible. Washington State Future Voter Program
- Not disqualified from voting due to a court order
Only a Superior Court Judge can declare a person unable to vote due to mental incompetency. Do not assume that a person under guardianship is ineligible to vote.
- Not under the Department of Corrections supervision for Washington felony conviction
A person’s right to vote is restored once they are no longer in prison or community custody (supervision, parole) with the Washington State Department of Corrections (DOC). Once the right to vote is restored, a person must re-register to vote.
Registering to Vote
Register here —> https://www.sos.wa.gov/elections/register.aspx
Steps once you click on this link
- Click the “Online” link
- Enter: First name, last name, date of birth
- Click submit
- When you click submit it may say, “We’re unable to find a registered voter with the information provided.” Below that it says Register to vote, click that button.
- To continue you need to have a current Washington State driver’s license, permit or ID card with you.
Dates and Deadlines
- October 21, Start of 18 day voting period (through Election Day). Ballots are mailed out and Accessible Voting Units (AVUs) are available at voting centers.
- October 31, Online and mail registrations must be received 8 days before Election Day. Register to vote in person during business hours and any time before 8:00 p.m. on Election Day.
- November 8, Deadline for Washington State voter registration or updates (in person only).
- November 8, General Election- Deposit your ballot in an official drop box by 8 p.m. on Election Day.